Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Barbara Calk updates us!

There's nothing like holiday greetings from old friends! Here's what Barb Calk tells us about life since 1969:

"After high school, I went to Clover Park Voc-Tech in the Video Production class. I married a fellow student in 1972 and we moved to Boise when he got a job at a station there. I couldn't find work in that field, so I went to Boise State and worked at a 7-Eleven. We moved back to Tacoma in 1974, and I was hired by KTVW as an on-air switcher.
"KTVW went out of business in 1976 (very poor management; our paychecks would bounce), and the frequency, Channel 13, was bought by the Clover Park School District and the call sign was changed to KCPQ. A year later it was purchased by Kelly Broadcasting, becoming the KCPQ we know today.
"I got a job in the Video Tape department at KING-TV. My first husband and I divorced in 1979. I became a news editor at KING and eventually a microwave engineer on live shots. I left KING in 1985 and went freelance, editing commercials and training videos, eventually taking a full-time gig at Boeing in their Video group in 1992. I married my current husband in 1995. He had custody of his 10-year-old daughter, whom I raised once we were married. He also had two sons from another marriage.  

"I spent 27 years working a second job with the Seattle Mariners, doing the headshots of the players, Music Trivia, player notes and other info on the in-house screen. In 1997, I was offered a job as a Media Processing tech at Microsoft in their video group. I did asset management (pushing files around on servers) and eventually ended up in Operations doing 3rd-party Application Support and Data Integrity validation. I loved it. Finally found my true calling after working for 40 years. After surviving 5 rounds of layoffs over the 17 years I was at Microsoft, I was RIF'd in 2014. We had just moved to Puyallup from Everett to be near our daughter and her kids, and I was so happy to be done with the commute. Now I take care of grandkids, volunteer at their schools and help with my Granddaughter's Girl Scout troop." 

No comments: